Wednesday 11 November 2009

Santa Spinner Cards - for Kevin

Here are the two Santa spinner cards made using recycled Christmas cards I've made for Kevin. These cards are also known as suspension cards. One of the themes we did at my card group last year was to recycle and reuse images from old Christmas cards we'd received and kept. Kevin wanted two of the blue cards - but I only had one blue Santa Christmas card to recycle. I went through my stack and found another Santa card that I could cut a piece out of and use so I hope he likes it!

Both cards are made the same way - I used square Nestie dies to cut out the spinner elements, windows and the squares inside the card. The spinner parts are made up of two squares with thin beading thread trapped between the two squares. On the back I've stamped a Merry Christmas sentiment. I taped the thread to the front of the cards and then covered the fronts with the patterned paper pieces. Of course, you can use any shapes for spinners, I've also used circles and the fancy Nestability shapes - they look great!

The Ho! Ho! Ho! sentiments were cut out with a Spellbinders Labels Trio die. I added small punched snowflakes with crystal centres. The blue card measures 5 3/4" square. The gold card measures 5 1/2" square because the patterned paper was that size, so I used thinner red grosgrain ribbon for that card.

With spinner cards, you twist the spinner element about 6 times before you place the card in the envelope. Then, when the recipient takes the card out, the spinner twizzles round - fab!






Supplies:
Stamps: Stampendous Ho! Ho! Ho!
CS: White CS & SU! Real Red CS
Patterned paper: Sandylion (blue snowflakes) Craftwork Cards (gold Christmas wording)
Ink: SU! Real Red
Tools: Square Nestabilities dies, Spellbinders Labels Trio die, X Cut small snowflake punch
Embellishments & accessories: Red grosgrain ribbons, beading wire, clear crystals, old Christmas cards


Photobucket

3 comments:

Dawn B. said...

These are terrific Ruth.. I love spinner cards. You did a great job photographing them...SUper job.

Sartassa said...

lovely, this really inspired me, could I post a link to this article in my blog? I would love to share it and remember it. I should really try it too!
hugs
Patricia

Sartassa said...

hehe thanks a lot for the commend on my blog, I am glad that you liked the card (the photo isn't the best though)
I will link your post as soon as I managed to create one of these great spinner cards
hugs
patricia

01 09 10