Saturday 28 November 2009

Noel Gap Cards

I've seen a few gap cards on Paula Pascual's blog here - the page will open in a new window - and I absolutely loved the Noel gap card she made. I got to see a few of her gap cards on display at the Glitter Pot too - and she was in the shop so I got to have a chat with her, she is so lovely and helpful.

I've made two gap cards so far. My cards measure 5 3/4" square and I cut 3" off the bottom front of the cards. The Noel is from a Sizzix Decorative Strip die and I cut two Noels for each card so one is glued at the front and another glued at the back to add some strength.

After cutting off the bottom 3", I applied glue to the top of one Noel and glued it to the front of the card. Then I applied glue to the bottom of the Noel and carefully lined up the 3" piece I'd earlier cut off, glued the bottom of the Noel and then trimmed off the excess CS at the bottom. Then I glued the second Noel to the back.

For the first card I applied a strip of gorgeous glittered holly paper to the top of the card and at the bottom there is a strip of Bravo Burgundy CS with a strip of Garden Green CS embossed with the Holly Ribbons Cuttlebug folder. Then to finish, I added some tiny punched snowflakes with crystal centres.



For my second gap card, I put a strip of SU! Merry Moments paper, matted on Real Red CS at the top. The line of snowmen at the bottom is stamped in Garden Green ink and I used the fine end of Marvy marker pens to add some colour. This stamp is a wheel but I'm definitely wheel challenged and find them difficult to use! So I unmounted the stamp from the wheel, applied cling foam to the back of the rubber and now I use the stamp with a long clear acrylic block - so much easier for me!

To finish this card, I've added red grosgrain ribbon with a snowflake charm at the top and again added punched snowflakes with crystal centres. I think these gap cards are fun and something quite different. I can't wait to see if my Circles Decorative Strip die will work for gap cards too!




Supplies for holly Noel gap card:
Stamps: None
CS: SU! Old Olive, Bravo Burgundy & Garden Green
Patterned paper: K & Co Christmas Cheer Holly Glittered paper
Ink: None
Tools: Sizzix Phrase, Noel w/Holly & Frame Decorative Strip die, Cuttlebug Holly Ribbons Embossing Folder, Woodware tiny snowflake punch
Embellishments & accessories: Clear crystals

Supplies for snowmen Noel gap card:
Stamps: SU! Snowman Fun wheel
CS: SU! Old Olive, Real Red & Whisper White
Patterned paper: SU! Merry Moments Designer Series Paper pack
Ink: SU! Garden Green, Marvy Le Plume II marker pens
Tools: Sizzix Phrase, Noel w/Holly & Frame Decorative Strip die, Woodware tiny snowflake punch
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Real Red grosgrain ribbon, snowflake charm, clear crystals

Photobucket

4 comments:

Zoe said...

These are both really great cards! Love the deep colours of the first one x

Sartassa said...

hey, I absolutely love the new layout of your blog!
hugs
Patricia

Dawn B. said...

These are amazing.. Just amazing.. Really great job.. I love this.. Would never think to do that.. It is awesome...

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth. I stumbled across your blog & noticed your Noel cards. I really loved the noel die cut and thought, "didn't I design one like that?"... I looked in my art folder & saw that it was me! LOL! What can I say, I love your taste :D

Super cute card,

Rachael Bright, Sizzix Die Designer
xoxo

01 09 10